Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lip Synch in Livin on a Prayer?

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Hmmm that would mean that's not what the black dots on the setlist are for in that case.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

I know I have heard that Tico plays to a click track on most, if not every, song.

Regarding playback on Prayer, this has been going on since he absolutely destroyed his vocal chords on the slippery tour. The guy was getting steroid shots directly into his throat night after night. I don't think he's ever sang the the chorus or key change without at least a backing track, but I'd say he's full on lip synced it a majority of the time.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Hmmm that would mean that's not what the black dots on the setlist are for in that case.
Though I don't know what they are for, there most likely not for that. Otherwise they would've been on older setlists too and they weren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationJovi View Post
I know I have heard that Tico plays to a click track on most, if not every, song.

Regarding playback on Prayer, this has been going on since he absolutely destroyed his vocal chords on the slippery tour. The guy was getting steroid shots directly into his throat night after night. I don't think he's ever sang the the chorus or key change without at least a backing track, but I'd say he's full on lip synced it a majority of the time.
He sang it at some places in '86 and killed his voice with that. I think ever since their headliner tour, they always had a backup track running.

And regarding the click-track: Bounce had contact to a guy working in the business and who had worked for Scorpions, Bon Jovi and other big acts and he explained to them that there's a lot of "masquerade" going on during all these shows in terms of backing tracks underlying the music at almost every song in one way or the other to give it all more "ooomph". And all these cues as well as the screen animations are linked to those click tracks too. Bounce play to click-tracks for all songs except piano ballads and Bed of Roses as well. Their drummer and keyboarder can turn them off manually during a song if needed though and I'm sure Tico could do the same.
And we were all able to hear what a mess could come of it when someone ****s up like Tico on Prayer in Japan '06
Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Arena and stadium acts need click tracks for lighting and video cues to synch up with the music and also to keep the band in time because us drummers can get carried away from time to time.

Different bands have it to varying degrees. U2 have quite an elaborate click track cueing system going on which is as far removed from rock and roll as I could imagine.

https://youtu.be/pl-VzRZVVJI
Old 06-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Though I don't know what they are for, there most likely not for that. Otherwise they would've been on older setlists too and they weren't there.
I think the dots also depend on the person the setlist stems from.
I checked various setlists and I got one from Uncasville from January 25, 2017 without dots and another one from Greenville from February 8, 2017 with dots.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Could anyone help me understand what you guys are saying? So JBJ isn't singing 100% on his own while in a live concert? I don't mean having someone from behind like Bobby or Richie or Everrett who can cover his voice weakness, I mean is there anything pre-recorded playing at the back? That's what you are saying?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanosBonJovi View Post
Could anyone help me understand what you guys are saying? So JBJ isn't singing 100% on his own while in a live concert? I don't mean having someone from behind like Bobby or Richie or Everrett who can cover his voice weakness, I mean is there anything pre-recorded playing at the back? That's what you are saying?
Yes. And it's common courtesy for most of the big bands. Not to be mistaken with saying that they aren't playing live because they most certainly do. But it's much more smoke and mirrors than many may think. They do have pre-recorded tracks for choruses and certain lead singer vocal lines in there at a certain (lower) volume to give it more power live. When Nickelback played in Cologne a few years agp, they spontaneously entered a jam session and Chad was standing on the side of the stage talking to somebody while his vocals were still very audible coming over the PA.

With Bon Jovi, it's been nothing else: On the New Jersey tour, Jon faked that high "Livin' On A Prayer" before the solo throughout and once, in Chile, they forgot to trigger the backing track. Just look at Jon's stink eye towards the sound mixer at 4:20

On the KTF tour, they had certain back-up tracks as well. I'm sure the chorus of Keep The Faith had some of it, the "faith" parts were triggered by David Bryan if I remember correctly as well. Take In These Arms from Dortmund 1993 at 1:56:48
After Jon had improvised, he puts his mic down and you can CLEARY hear his "baaabyyyy" over the PA.

In 2013, when he had his hayfever attack in Sofia, people mentioned that you could still hear his voice at parts like ITA while David was actually singing for Jon.

As I said, this doesn't take anything away from Bon Jovi's outstanding playing for three decades! All of the bigger acts do have that and I think it was either Jon or Richie who once said that "live shows are always a bit of mirrors and smoke". When I first saw Bounce, they just played live as 5 guys and some of the stuff sounded somewhat empty. Until they got that advice from the person who had worked in the business (mentioned above) and added a few pre-recorded tracks to (especially newer) songs and went into their studio to record gang vocals for some choruses like It's My Life. Since then, the sound has gotten much fuller and powerful.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I see. Well I was at the concert in Sofia, I didn't notice what you mention but that's I guess cause I was so delighted seeing Bon Jovi performing either way :P
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Location: In a bar breathing smoke, snorting whiskey drinking coke.

At around 5 mins in this performance Jon misses his cue and is quite obviously miming because you can hear his voice when he is 5 metres away from his mic stand.

He's so relaxed about it though. I'm not sure how much of the vocal is on tape. Possibly just the short spoken part after the solo.

https://youtu.be/B19RQBQFAuY]
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
At around 5 mins in this performance Jon misses his cue and is quite obviously miming because you can hear his voice when he is 5 metres away from his mic stand.

He's so relaxed about it though. I'm not sure how much of the vocal is on tape. Possibly just the short spoken part after the solo.

https://youtu.be/B19RQBQFAuY]
Pretty sure that this was either bad editing for the TV broadcast (like Richie's Living In Sin solo in Santiago 1990) or an overdub. There was an article posted here at some point from that era where it was explained that Jon spent the entire night in the studio after the show in order to check and fix possible voice problems.