Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

This Left Feels Right

General BJ Discussion

Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomom View Post
I NEVER have that urge . . . never ever . . . never ever ever! At this very moment, I'm listening to a bootleg of the acoustic concert in Yokohama that was supposed to be released instead. Do you know how bitter that makes me? Sure Jon had a cold. Big fat hairy deal. It is still SO much better than those horrible cover versions they did of their own damn songs! I swear, if anyone else had done that, they should have been trying to figure out if there was some way they could sue.

And don't even bring up that lounge lizard version of Bed of Roses. Those of us in the U.S. got THAT version of BoR during the tour instead of the gorgeous real one. By the end of the U.S. leg, I was sitting down during that song in protest.

(Of course, in spite of all that hate, I still own 2 copies of TLFR. The first one that I bought before I knew I hated it, and the second one that I HAD to get because it came with a DVD that included a few songs from the Yokohama show. Oh, and I have the DVD from the Borgata, too, which somehow isn't quite as bad as the CD. Sheesh. "Sucker" is written on my forehead, isn't it?)
-Retrospect is 50/50. People would bitch about him being sick, and not sounding good.

-Ugggh, TLFR BoR. Rape. Nuff' said.

-I like the TLFR DVD, it beats the hell out of the album.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleaf View Post
I do like parts of the Album for 1 Its my life is just insanely good way better than the orig and when it was done with All American Rejects for the Unplugged concert it just gave me shivers hearing it ,that version is up there with Hallalujah in my books.
I LOVE those two tracks.
Have a bootleg of the Unplugged show just for those.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

I like a few of the songs - Wanted, Always, It's My Life.

I'll Be There For you is the worst. Robs the song of all the power that made it great.

I think if they had just the Borgata as a one off concert, and did that and released it as a live album they'd have got a lot more respect and kudo's for this.

As it is though - releasing it as an alternate greatest hits version - it just didn't work.

I'd have loved the Yokohama acoustic album instead - and the problem is the bootleg of that sucks quality wise. I'd love to hear a decent Soundboard version of it.

I still think Jovi should do a full acoustic album of new songs and maybe even an acoustic tour as well, but no TLFR versions, just proper stripped back acoustic ones.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Prompted by this thread I listened to TLFR on the way to work this morning as all the postivity was making me think I had been too harsh in the past. I now know why I haven' listened to it in over a year - it's pretty bloody awful, and for me to say that about a Bon Jovi album is like the devil going ice skating!

I find it very very weak, souless and lacking in the passion that makes Bon Jovi so great to listen to. Bad Name is an absolute disaster and Prayer is like a really bad karaoke duet. I have to disagree with Always being good too - just at the point where it should really kick in and the emotion should be let free, it dies, and waddles along like a wet weekend.

I never realised until reading this thread that Yokohama Acoustic was the orginally intended release - sure wish they'd stuck with their plans.

Kudos to them for trying something different, but it didn't work, at all!

Last edited by SmirkSteve; 07-04-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to Chica Guacamole

My fiend and I went to a restaurant with my parents before the Glasgow gig and they were playing TLFR. Nobody seemed to really like it, I think somebody actually asked the waiter to put on "some real Bon Jovi". I like the DVD, but the album itself lacks any real power. It's kinda sad when you consider that the songs are actually good in the first place.

Put a ribbon round my neck and call me a libertine
I will sing you songs of dreams I used to dream

And if you turned around to see me, and I was gone
You should have looked outside your window, 'cause the sun was coming out.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

This discussion broke out yesterday while I was at work, and I weighed in with my thoughts based on memory. And admittedly, the last time I listened to TLFR was quite awhile ago. So, to be fair, I tried to listen to it when I got home. I didn't listen to the songs in full -- that would have been going too far -- just long enough that I remembered why I detested (or liked) them.

Okay, I admit it, I do like IML. I had forgotten (or maybe blocked out) that TLFR is where that version of it comes from. I have a question, though. Was that version actually NEW for TLFR? I thought they were doing something like that version at some of the concerts in the aftermath of 9/11, but I don't have a version in my iTunes that's older than TLFR. (It's possible that I was thinking of the version of Prayer that they did.) Does anyone remember? This is now bugging me.

And I'm really sorry and ashamed to admit it, but for some strange reason, I don't hate Bad Medicine. I have no idea why, because I really should! LOL But I actually listened to most of it last night. Isn't that a ringing endorsement?

Oh, does anyone else think that parts of Bad Name sound an awful lot like Stray Cat Strut? (Yes, I'm OLD.)

Other than those 2 songs (1 that I like a lot and 1 that I don't hate), the rest is horrendous, IMO. I'll take the no-so-great bootleg from Yokohama any day.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
These Days

Quote:
This discussion broke out yesterday while I was at work, and I weighed in with my thoughts based on memory. And admittedly, the last time I listened to TLFR was quite awhile ago. So, to be fair, I tried to listen to it when I got home. I didn't listen to the songs in full -- that would have been going too far -- just long enough that I remembered why I detested (or liked) them.

Okay, I admit it, I do like IML. I had forgotten (or maybe blocked out) that TLFR is where that version of it comes from. I have a question, though. Was that version actually NEW for TLFR? I thought they were doing something like that version at some of the concerts in the aftermath of 9/11, but I don't have a version in my iTunes that's older than TLFR. (It's possible that I was thinking of the version of Prayer that they did.) Does anyone remember? This is now bugging me.

And I'm really sorry and ashamed to admit it, but for some strange reason, I don't hate Bad Medicine. I have no idea why, because I really should! LOL But I actually listened to most of it last night. Isn't that a ringing endorsement?

Oh, does anyone else think that parts of Bad Name sound an awful lot like Stray Cat Strut? (Yes, I'm OLD.)

Other than those 2 songs (1 that I like a lot and 1 that I don't hate), the rest is horrendous, IMO. I'll take the no-so-great bootleg from Yokohama any day.
As far as i know that version of it's my life was new for TFLR , at the concert for new york they played an acoustic version of prayer but the normal rock version of it's my life and wanted.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometownboy View Post
As far as i know that version of it's my life was new for TFLR , at the concert for new york they played an acoustic version of prayer but the normal rock version of it's my life and wanted.
Yeah, I have that CD, too. That's what made me think that I might be confusing it with Prayer. But there was also a TV telethon thing held very shortly after 9/11, and I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi (or maybe just Jon & Richie) performed. I don't remember what they did, though. I'd have sworn it was that IML, but I'm probably wrong.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Yeah, I have that CD, too. That's what made me think that I might be confusing it with Prayer. But there was also a TV telethon thing held very shortly after 9/11, and I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi (or maybe just Jon & Richie) performed. I don't remember what they did, though. I'd have sworn it was that IML, but I'm probably wrong.
I remember they tried an acoustic of IML for a radio show but it didn't work very well, and that was Crush era I think.

First I've heard of that version was definitely TLFR.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
I guess then Iīm old, too...
I donīt know if these songs sound like each other but I do like Stray Cat Strut a lot. The best Stray Cats song ever IMO.

I donīt like TLFR, played it once when I bought it.

Tags
this left feels right