Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Older bon jovi vs younger bon jovi

General BJ Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Posting everyday

In terms of the albums I definitely prefer the era 1984-1995 over the post-2000 stuff. That has some good stuff here and there as well (I like many songs off This House), but they've become more and more patchy.

Live there are certain specific that attract me the most (maybe because I'm an avid bootleg fanatic):

1989-1991 (Especially from mid-1989 onwards the performances were just so raw and inch-perfect as they got exhausted. Though one of my all-time-favourite shows is from March 1989).
1993 (April/May - the holy grail of Jovi live shows)
1995/96 (especially the US tour in the summer and Europe 1996)
2008-11 (again starting with the summer 2008 in Europe and having special mentiones to the first US leg in 2010 / the South American and Australian legs in late 2010 and Europe in 2011)

That being said - there were great shows inbetween as well, of course! Their best ever post-2000 performance (in my subjective opinion) was in Munich 2003. Not my favourite era, but that was something out this world.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 AM
Something for the Posts

Oh, I definitely prefer old school Bon Jovi -- way back when the band contained more than one member.

That's because I never saw Bon Jovi as being all about Jon, as compared to, say, a Bruce Springsteen or an Axl Rose: their "brotherhood" was a big part of what made them so much fun (and look so hot!). And I never saw the others as propping up Jon, but as all of them propping up each other.

Also, towing Hugh along as a "red-headed stepchild" rather than installing him as a "full-blooded" member of the brotherhood has certainly come back to haunt them. With four "official" members, it would have been easier for them to "justify" not officially replacing Richie -- not smarter, just easier!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 05-26-2017 at 10:46 PM..
Old 05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
These Days

From 1984-2011 Bon Jovi was always great, with some dips here and there, Jons voals on the SWW tour, some vocal dip on the Bounce Tour. But overall it was energetic and a great rock show. From 2013 it has been a drastic change and from 2015 it's just pathetic at times.

A favorite time has to be 92-96 as they really reached a peak there, as well as 08-11 as I was fortunate to see them live myself and it's still the best shows I've seen by any band.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCounty View Post
From 1984-2011 Bon Jovi was always great, with some dips here and there, Jons voals on the SWW tour, some vocal dip on the Bounce Tour. But overall it was energetic and a great rock show. From 2013 it has been a drastic change and from 2015 it's just pathetic at times.

A favorite time has to be 92-96 as they really reached a peak there, as well as 08-11 as I was fortunate to see them live myself and it's still the best shows I've seen by any band.
I think I can subscribe to that.
2005/06 was when I really became a fan and around the release of Lost Highway I was starting to join fanboards. To be around when Jon regained his vocal confidence and all of a sudden the rarities came shooting onto the setlists was great. As was the 2010/11 tour. These times and the pbp threads here are what I remember so vividly. I probably watched videos up and down from the concerts like I had never done before and like I most likely won't do again. Not to mention that the summer of 2011 was something I'll always remember with stunning concerts (especially Mannheim and Dresden) and the meet-ups with many of the (former) board members here. Those were the days!
From mid-2013 onwards it's gotten harder and harder trying to cling on to what had once made this band stand out and be more special to me than any other band.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
80's all the way... That's where all the passion is... 83 to 91

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
true true.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Suddenly

the 80s were great, certainly SWW and NJ are classics, but the local radio station over plays so many songs that I'm kinda worn out with them

the 90s were even better, KTF and TD contain some of Bon Jovi's best work imo. KTF was extremely inconstant though...

the 00s-10s catch alot of flack is seems, but this is the era I grew up with, I was 10 when Crush came out and that was the album that hooked me. I have fond memories of each album since.

Verdict is I love all three eras for different reasons, but growing up with the post 00 is probably the tie breaker for me