Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Why can't Jon get rid of the stress?

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovifan93 View Post
Not saying that you're wrong, but do you have any proof for that theory? In the 80s and at least early 90s, he was definitely singing through his throat, hence the rasp and everything. But from the 2000s onwards, I think he actually worked out a technique that *is* (or was) sustainable, hence the different sound (probably even the more nasal one)...

How and why that suddenly went downhill during 2013, I don't know. But from what I've learned the last years about Jon being introverted and stuff, I can imagine (like Jackie) that something happened that made his world collapse a bit and lose his confidence. And then things started to go downhill, which lead to some osrt of a downward-spiral...
To be honest, I can't provide any solid proof myself, I'm no singer/vocal expert, but I'm basing this on the evidence that I saw.

Ken Tamplin is one of the most popular vocal coaches on YouTube and rightfully so - the dude is absolutely incredible and it doesn't take another expert to tell he definitely knows what he's talking about, because he can demonstrate the techniques with his own voice. He does cover versions of favorite songs and he once covered a Bon Jovi song (Wanted, I think) and in the comment section someone asked in his opinion why Jon lost his voice over the years and he replied something along the lines of "by singing through his chest and not through his diaphragm, among other little things". That was a very brief comment (and I was not able to find it now, unfortunately) and he did not specify whether he was talking about prime-Jon, today's Jon or both, but to me it definitely feels like Jon always sang through the throat. Even his 2008-11 renaissance, when he developed new technique, it still sounds to me like he was overpowering and shouting to reach the high notes in songs like Always (WILL love you, FOREVER and a day), Living In Sin (WHERE we begin, WORLD we live in), Wanted (STEEL horse I ride) and many others. I'd love to be proven right or wrong on this, but to my semi-untrained ear it sounds different than other singers when they nail high notes (the good ones, obviously).

Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I doubt Jon and Richie were ever "best bro's" to be honest. Certainly not for many years...
I might sound ignorant or whatever you call it but my speculation is that right after the HAND tour, I think something changed during that time. The success of Who Says really has a huge role to Jon's mentality. Can't put these to proper words but the band became a money making machine onwards. Jon wanted success to be stretched further, but he just can't make it. But I'll give him credit though for what he has done during The Circle tour though but then he makes another GH compilation and add another single, still fails. He was on his late 40's that time so there's no need to have such workload. Same goes to the other members too. Especially Richie. I mean if you just came off from releasing your third solo album then why tour with the band right? You still have to promote it no matter what. He probably still wants to promote until 2013 but then his "has been" boss records yet another album so he has no choice but to work his ass off.

Also back to the HAND tour, that was probably the last time that the band were having fun together. Jon's passion was all over the place and you can still see that "bond" they once had. Watching them live nowadays was like seeing myself working in the office. They just look bored. That below average voice and zero stage presence is pretty much the cherry in the cake for me but hey as long as he delivers entertainment, I'm okay with it.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Livin' on a Post

Already from CRUSH they were very much oriented to their "money making machine" side.

And the album CRUSH is somewhat ambivalent. But then from BOUNCE and on, they seem very calculated, like tryin to replicate particular recipies for songs that would be hits. On THESE DAYS or KTF they are more loose and honestly experimenting. Cause at that time they didnt feel the need to try to have a hit. After the non success of THESE DAYS in US and the non success of DA, they apparently really felt the need to hit serious big time again, and focused on that. Sex Sells, with Bruce Fairbrain in the production, would have been an attempt to make a 90s version of Slippery When Wet. Plans changed they adopted some boybandish sounds using Max Martin's collaboration, and they did achieve the next big hit. And so, being satisfied with this result, they established the faith that "calculated efforts" can work out and give you hits and success. And from then on, they were almost all the time trying to create hits.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:38 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Crash View Post
He probably still wants to promote until 2013 but then his "has been" boss records yet another album so he has no choice but to work his ass off.
If you want people to take your theories seriously stuff like that makes it very hard.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
If you want people to take your theories seriously stuff like that makes it very hard.
https://youtu.be/cHirr_qYY7w

Well I'm basing that on this video..