8 3 10.34%
9 4 13.79%
10 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I love Jon's DA era, even more than a lot of the band stuff, but this song never did it for me. It's not bad, but as others said, something's lacking.
In the context of its time, I'd probably give it a 4.
If a song like this was to appear on an album these days, I'm pretty sure most would rate it with a 7 or 8. That just highlights the change in the last two decades.
Pretty much spot on.

For a long time Say It Isn't So didn't do anything for me and I considered it one of the worst singles. I never understood why Jon suddenly started singing with his head voice. But the whole Crush album wasn't one I listened to regularly.
A couple of years ago it changed and for some time I really enjoyed listening to the album a lot which also changed my opinion about that song. It's still not one of the great ones but I made my peace with it.

So in the beginning I would have given it a 2 or 3. Nowadays I'd rate it with a 5 or 6.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:18 PM
Next 100 Posts

I actually miss their sound before their massive success with It's My Life. SIIS, OWN, STW, Next 100 Years and I Got The Girl are quite unique compared to the songs they released after Crush. Two Story Town gives that vibe you'll get from Jon's DA album and I honestly think it was intended for Jon's third solo album. That riff at the start of the song reminds me of Bobby's guitar work for DA.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Livin' on a Post

1)Refreshing/Interesting lyrics considering the 2 decades of "live my life everyday" shtick that was to follow. That's the USP of this one in my opinion: the shattering of the innocence of youth. Something in the vein of "All my heroes died" off These Days.
2) The riff really nails it and the first 30 seconds makes you feel like something amazing is in store. So far so good!
3) No guitars discernible in the chorus (soon to become a staple 2000s Bon Jovi move). Although it really deflates the song, you brush it aside as a creative choice.
4) The bridge arrives & you are searching for the guitar solo and not only is it missing but there's no rhythm guitar either (if I remember accurately). Just some keyboards, which sound good but feel a bit misplaced.
5) The guitar returns with that sweet little Planet Caravan/Hysteria like D chord lick to end the bridge section. But then we jump into the deflated chorus again. This time it seems it'll never end, thanks to the barely there instrumentation accompanying the vocals. It ends well (the vocals only bit) and you're left there feeling unsure whether you listened to something average or a shade below (another thing that was about to become the norm). Ofcourse, you worship the band, so you rate it above average. Why would Arnold Schwarzenegger be in the video for it otherwise?
7/10 for me. (Real rating 6/10)

Last edited by rickysambo; 09-25-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysambo View Post
Why would Arnold Schwarzenegger be in the video for it otherwise?
I don't think either Arnold Schwarzenegger, Emilio Estevez, Matt LeBlanc, Claudia Schiffer or Ralf Moeller cared too much about the song and solely did it out of their friendship to Jon.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I don't think either Arnold Schwarzenegger, Emilio Estevez, Matt LeBlanc, Claudia Schiffer or Ralf Moeller cared too much about the song and solely did it out of their friendship to Jon.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Jovi FANatic

Yep a 5 for me..

Crush was the first album IMO that had some odd single choices, this trend then continued.

I'd have released

It's my life
Thank you for loving me
Just older
Mystery train
One wild night

Last edited by hackster73; 10-14-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Old 10-13-2020, 06:54 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackster73 View Post
Yep a 5 for me..

Crush was the first album IMO that had some odd single choices, this trend then continued.

I'd have released

It's my life
Thank you for loving me
Just older
Mystery train
Mystery Train? – Then I think Say It Isn't So was quite a good choice.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:24 PM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by polevka View Post
Mystery Train? – Then I think Say It Isn't So was quite a good choice.
Haha.
Yeah, I'd have gone It's my life, One Wild Night, Just Older. And sorry about digressing, but not including Neurotica or even I could make a living on the album instead of Save the World will irritate me till I die.

Tags
say it isn't so