Home Register Members FAQ

40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 05-04-2022, 06:28 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
We are not in 2004 ok, but now in 2022 the technology has advanced a lot, so adding some instrument to a demo is quite easy. Damn, even I could do it without having the demo with separate tracks. It's not expensive, so there is no excuse not to finish those songs if they have any potential.

Jon mentioned 40-50 songs, and he's talking about a boxset, so it's understandable to expect a boxset like 100 million fans...

You're not going to see another great opportunity to do this if you miss this train.
This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. You're setting yourself up to be let down if you're already saying "Well Jon said 40-50 so it will be like the last one". It's still early days. Hope is great but I really don't see this being as expansive as the last one given the market and state of interest. The last one only sold well because it was four discs otherwise nope.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:30 PM
Posting everyday

Given how little input and enthusiasm Jon had shown for the NJ Deluxe Edition and Burning Bridges, I'm curious as to how much he'll truly be involved in this Box Set, if it ever comes to fruition. Especially in terms of him really taking care about adding instrumentation or him leaving all that stuff up to Obie and Shanks.
Maybe he'll get inspired and needs to put out a record 'cause it only fits in this era (like when The Cirlce replaced Greatest Hits).

I'm sure there's enough material in the vault, but if it was a 40-year Box Set, I wouldn't want it to be 90% of stuff from post-2005. With all the B-sides in the Bounce era, the reduced amount of demoing from HAND onwards and a number of tracks ending up on BB, I doubt they can make about 40 tracks with leftovers from this time frame anyway. Wouldn't mind some nice demos of songs we got later on. The KTF demo for Diamond Ring would've been vastly different to any versions we know with so much more instrumentation. Just as an example.

And I'd go as far as saying: if this time around, there won't be some live video from the archives, it'll never get released.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:41 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Given how little input and enthusiasm Jon had shown for the NJ Deluxe Edition and Burning Bridges, I'm curious as to how much he'll truly be involved in this Box Set, if it ever comes to fruition. Especially in terms of him really taking care about adding instrumentation or him leaving all that stuff up to Obie and Shanks.
Maybe he'll get inspired and needs to put out a record 'cause it only fits in this era (like when The Cirlce replaced Greatest Hits).

I'm sure there's enough material in the vault, but if it was a 40-year Box Set, I wouldn't want it to be 90% of stuff from post-2005. With all the B-sides in the Bounce era, the reduced amount of demoing from HAND onwards and a number of tracks ending up on BB, I doubt they can make about 40 tracks with leftovers from this time frame anyway. Wouldn't mind some nice demos of songs we got later on. The KTF demo for Diamond Ring would've been vastly different to any versions we know with so much more instrumentation. Just as an example.

And I'd go as far as saying: if this time around, there won't be some live video from the archives, it'll never get released.
YUP. You could easily easily easily fill 12 tracks with alternate takes of songs, lyrical changes, different productions etc.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:10 PM
Price of posting

I don't really agree with that thought. So what should I expect... shit on a stick?

No man, I know they're just wishes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing them.

I think Bon Jovi has at least a couple of songs for every album that we haven't heard, that's about 20 songs at least in the last 20 years. That is quite plausible. As for the 90s stuff, we know there are some Sex Sells songs that never came out, and then there are the SWW and NJ sessions, with various demos that were never officially released.

To say that they don't have enough material to fill 4 albums is simply false. Another thing is that you can't believe in this project, because the release always disappoints. Well, as I always say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

If in the end they don't comply with what is established, then bad luck, but don't lose hope, damn it.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 05-04-2022 at 07:12 PM..
Old 05-04-2022, 07:16 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
I don't really agree with that thought. So what should I expect... shit on a stick?

No man, I know they're just wishes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing them.

I think Bon Jovi has at least a couple of songs for every album that we haven't heard, that's about 20 songs at least in the last 20 years. That is quite plausible. As for the 90s stuff, we know there are some Sex Sells songs that never came out, and then there are the SWW and NJ sessions, with various demos that were never officially released.

To say that they don't have enough material to fill 4 albums is simply false. Another thing is that you can't believe in this project, because the release always disappoints. Well, as I always say, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

If in the end they don't comply with what is established, then bad luck, but don't lose hope, damn it.
There's a big big big world of difference between "this is in the realm of reality because Jon said it is" and "Shit on a stick" though.

Hey, I agree with you. They have the material to make it happen the way we want. My point is more we are going to cut to three years from now, people calling out Jon for not doing what he said he would, releasing a major project to a world that doesn't want it. I believe this could be an amazing end product if they find a way to financially do it. Physical doesn't sell a fraction of what it used to. If they went digital with it, cut the overhead massively and give us some gems? That's the best chance.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Price of posting

I'm sorry, but if I have to dream, I want to do it big, later reality will hit me, but until then I want, I hope and I demand the best that they could give me.

All I want Is Everything

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 05-04-2022 at 07:33 PM..
Old 05-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if I have to dream, I want to do it big, later reality will hit me, but until then I want, I hope and I demand the best that they could give me.

All I want Is Everything
Doing it the other way around saves you a lot of disappointment in the Jovi world these days

Ever since 2013, I didn't expect anything and then could say that I was pleasantly surprised to like some tracks on BB, the THINFS bonus ones and three on 2020. I could take it as a benefit. If I had gone for how big all might have been (also with regards to the Experience), I would've hated the outcome much more.

I believe it can be a nice release, but I can't see it being as big and with as much effort as the 2004 one, simply because they were so much bigger at the time. If we get a 4-disc set, unreleased Sex Sells album and one or two old live shows on top of that, then that's awesome and it'll extend my expectations. But if we get a 2-disc set, then I can just say that it was kind of to be expected whereas you'd go through the roof 'cause it could've been so much bigger
Old 05-04-2022, 09:37 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Doing it the other way around saves you a lot of disappointment in the Jovi world these days

Ever since 2013, I didn't expect anything and then could say that I was pleasantly surprised to like some tracks on BB, the THINFS bonus ones and three on 2020. I could take it as a benefit. If I had gone for how big all might have been (also with regards to the Experience), I would've hated the outcome much more.

I believe it can be a nice release, but I can't see it being as big and with as much effort as the 2004 one, simply because they were so much bigger at the time. If we get a 4-disc set, unreleased Sex Sells album and one or two old live shows on top of that, then that's awesome and it'll extend my expectations. But if we get a 2-disc set, then I can just say that it was kind of to be expected whereas you'd go through the roof 'cause it could've been so much bigger
This fits what I'm saying, yeah. I'm going to get a handful of songs I really like. If I get more, great. But if you're pissed off by the Experience and Sirius and the last ten years and STILL think this miraculous box set will be the be all end all? God bless ya but I can't do it.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:16 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
This fits what I'm saying, yeah. I'm going to get a handful of songs I really like. If I get more, great. But if you're pissed off by the Experience and Sirius and the last ten years and STILL think this miraculous box set will be the be all end all? God bless ya but I can't do it.
Let your ****ing imagination fly!!!!

captain_killjoy

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 05-04-2022 at 11:34 PM..
Old 05-05-2022, 01:42 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who believe if you never expect anything you will never be disappointed. After not liking 2020 well enough to buy it plus the YouTubes of the 2022 Tour I can't say I'm looking forward to a boxset at all

Tags
2024 box set, box set