Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   Tour Discussion (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should Bon Jovi Tour again in 2022? After April? (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70895)

angelsambo 05-10-2022 06:16 PM

THE DARKNESS Singer On JON BON JOVI's Vocal Issues: 'The People Around Him Need To Tell Him To Stop'

https://blabbermouth.net/news/the-da...ll-him-to-stop

Jon Bon Jovi vocal issues: What is going on and how can it be fixed?

https://eu.app.com/story/entertainme...ng/9661274002/

rolo_tomachi 05-10-2022 07:04 PM

Love this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsambo (Post 1280011)

Jon Bon Jovi vocal issues: What is going on and how can it be fixed?

https://eu.app.com/story/entertainme...ng/9661274002/

The Richie Sambora factor

Richie Sambora delivered the band’s classic guitar riffs for nearly 30 years, and he co-wrote the classic songs, too.

He was also pivotal to Bon Jovi’s vocals, Mantas said.

“He used to have Richie singing behind him,” Mantas said. “Richie used to do shadow vocals, it was right behind him and you’re not hearing that anymore. He’s out there by himself too much, especially the choruses where you got to sing hard.”

Sambora exited the band in 2013.

“It’s like the Lone Ranger without Tonto,” Mantas said.

Alphavictim 05-13-2022 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eveline (Post 1278628)
We can only wonder whose decision it was and why it probably watered down the band's legacy.

I don't think there's much need to "wonder" who wanted to make WAN when the rest of the band didn't. However, I also think they had a strict "one product per year" contract (well, Jon did) starting with Crush. That probably became more lenient later on, but it's pretty obvious that they went studio album (Crush), filler album (OWN), studio album (Bounce), filler album (TLFR), filler release (box set - well, it required no new song writing), studio album (HAND).

And as much as I dislike the album, Lost Highway the first album of the "new" cycle where they didn't put out filler stuff in between studio albums to have sth new every year. And it sold really well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richiefan95 (Post 1278634)
Jon needs to see an psychologist. He is a smart man and should know that touring in this state is a not good idea. There must be a reason he can't stop. He probably will still perform even when he can't speak anymore.

He is a singer. His professional identity and a large part of who made him who he is now is being a singer. He sure isn't an actor, and he's not exactly a professional guitar player. What's he gonna do; lay down and say "well, that's it for me, guess I'll now wait around until I die"? Realizing you can't do what used to define you must be brutal.

Alphavictim 05-13-2022 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1278647)
It sucks to say but the general public does not care about Jon's artistic side.

Not that he ever went for it. The single choices don't exactly tell the "serious" crowd that the new BJ might be for them. Europe (the band) released like 20 years worth of Whitesnake worship blues infused hard rock records. They have quite the reputation among classic rock fans now; they're not "the cheesy Final Countdown guys" anymore among these circles. Mike Tramp (ex-White Lion) has been releasing lowkey singer songwriter stuff for God knows how long. If Limitless performs better than Lower The Flag, Jon will put out Limitless.

Hell, the Destination Anywhere material and TLFR where attempts to go for stuff more suited to his aged voice (or, dare I say it, natural vocal range - he just got away with the abuse before). It didn't work, so he went back for the soaring vocals.

Observe how Johnny Rzenik and Bryan Adams, who always sang in their natural range, can still sing like champions.

Also, regarding "properly going for it", low key stuff (quite literally, but also in terms of sonics) like the grey summer period stuff could probably BENEFIT from JBJ's worn vocals, telling a different tale. It's why I welcomed some of the songwriting choices on 2020. It's just that Jon allowing dark stuff to creep into the songs works better when he's not overtly political (he's just not a great "intellectual" writer, but he's great with putting big tales into small stories).

Of course, he could simply have somebody else do the belting that gives these tales a little contrast, too. You know, like somebody who used to yell "woman you know my hands are dirty" or "WAAANTED" for decades. And who should by all means co-write the band's proper farewell record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supersonic (Post 1278705)
Aloha !

What's this now, a sequel to Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen? I'd say your ban on Jovitalk didn't last long enough. I rest my case.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Not sure if you were on hiatus back then, but on Lindsay Lohan's first record, there's stuff written by Shanks that sounds rather close to some HAND material. Style-wise, not like "same melody". I think "Nobody Till You" is a prime offender. Figured a fellow Lohanian might dig that kinda intel.

Captain_jovi 05-13-2022 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1280031)
Not that he ever went for it. The single choices don't exactly tell the "serious" crowd that the new BJ might be for them

I don't think I agree. I think the sales of These Days and Destination Anywhere in America destroyed Jon's need to put out stuff that shows he can emote and write without relying on loud guitars and ten cent rhymes. It has to be why the 1999 demos and Crush was so much dumber lyrically

Alphavictim 05-13-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1280032)
I don't think I agree. I think the sales of These Days and Destination Anywhere in America destroyed Jon's need to put out stuff that shows he can emote and write without relying on loud guitars and ten cent rhymes. It has to be why the 1999 demos and Crush was so much dumber lyrically

"He went for it a bit in the 90s" doesn't exactly mean much in 2022. Also, It's My Life (by far the biggest hit the band had after the 90s) was a Max Martin vehicle which didn't exactly suit Jon's "I like to think of Dylan and Petty as my idols" agenda.

It paid of very well at the time, but in the long term, it hurt the band's standing among the rock crowd.

rolo_tomachi 05-13-2022 09:09 PM

About success, it's not about making better or worse songs, but about releasing it at the right time.

These Days is a magical album, but it wasn't released at the right time. Cobain had been dead for a year and the trends changed in 1995.

Crush hit the target because this time they come at the right time. About Crush album, I think it's his best Pop album, and by this I mean that it feels round. My favorite pop-rock post-2000 album would be The Circle, but it's not that well cooked, and it didn't hit the trends either.

joloriquelme 05-18-2022 04:17 PM

Aaaannd...

It happened again.

https://twitter.com/JoviUpdates/stat...92749726920704

jovifan85 05-18-2022 06:51 PM

JBJ just can't relax! Maybe we may have a new Album to come!

Captain_jovi 05-18-2022 07:02 PM

I'd wager this was a private gig booked months, if not a year, in advance. Anyone know who it was for?