Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   40th Anniversary Boxset (2023) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70845)

Dave 1986 10-09-2021 01:18 PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in any way exciting about a new Bon Jovi release of any kind. (The last release I got genuinely excited for was the New Jersey Deluxe Edition)

I hope it’s all/mostly “new” songs, not anything recycled from previous releases or an “updated” version of the 2004 Box Set. The odd rare b-side here and there would be fine (like how "Breathe" and "Good Guys…" were included on the 2004 release) but, like the previous box set, I want mostly (officially) unreleased stuff.

I appreciate that it’ll mostly be post-2000’s stuff and the 80s and 90s were covered on the previous Box Set and the New Jersey Deluxe Edition but I do have my reservations with it being an era I’m least interested in, particularly post-Richie era. But as others have said already, just because a song doesn’t make it onto those albums doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to be less good.

Ideally I’d like to finally have some of songs from the “original” Have a Nice Day album (ie. "Nothing", original versions of
"Have a Nice Day", "I Want to Be Loved", "Bells of Freedom", etc.) in full quality.

This news has started giving me nostalgia for late-2004 when I was anticipating the original Box Set!

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 02:32 PM

Could this be why a slew of JBJ late 90's songs were registered on ASCAP the last year or so or did something change with his publishing? A handful were Richie co-writes so I'm hoping it covers everything. He has to be realistic enough that a box set focussing on 40 to 50 post 2013 songs would be a weird thing to promote and release.

Dicanio 10-09-2021 03:29 PM

The impression that I got from the round table was that this is still in the very very early days of going through and seeing what they have. It doesn’t sound like there was any record kept of what there actually is or the quality of it.

Just to reiterate they are currently going through 40~50 songs to establish what they have. He never actually said 40~50 songs would end up on the box set just in case some of you are expecting exactly that.

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicanio (Post 1275816)
The impression that I got from the round table was that this is still in the very very early days of going through and seeing what they have. It doesn’t sound like there was any record kept of what there actually is or the quality of it.

Just to reiterate they are currently going through 40~50 songs to establish what they have. He never actually said 40~50 songs would end up on the box set just in case some of you are expecting exactly that.

Aha, gotcha. 40 to 50 non hits was ambitious to release in 2004, will be neat to see how many make sense given the fall from grace the band has had.

Jack27 10-09-2021 06:02 PM

Any songs you’re all hoping for? As previously mentioned I’d love to finally get Sex Sells - and actually a lot of what that record was. Shadow Dancing, Someday We’ll Ride Wild Horses, Good Ain’t Good Enough etc

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1275820)
Any songs you’re all hoping for? As previously mentioned I’d love to finally get Sex Sells - and actually a lot of what that record was. Shadow Dancing, Someday We’ll Ride Wild Horses, Good Ain’t Good Enough etc

Would love to hear the 1996 Destination Anywhere-demos the band played on, the Bounce songs like Alone, Life's too short for days like these, the Lost Highway songs cut for One Step Closer and Everybody's Broken, This Ain't a Drinking Song...

Cadillac Man being registered in ASCAP is confusing if there's no song recorded. Is it possible it had to be due to it being in Access All Areas (a bit of it was in that, right?)

bonjovi90 10-09-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275821)
Would love to hear the 1996 Destination Anywhere-demos the band played on, the Bounce songs like Alone, Life's too short for days like these, the Lost Highway songs cut for One Step Closer and Everybody's Broken, This Ain't a Drinking Song...

Cadillac Man being registered in ASCAP is confusing if there's no song recorded. Is it possible it had to be due to it being in Access All Areas (a bit of it was in that, right?)

I don't think there's 1996 DA demos the band played on? Had that been confirmed at some point (other than that producer scam we had here a few weeks ago)?

Cadillac Man wasn't on AAA in any way as far as I remember but since they had licensed the song off to Johnny Hallyday, it might've been registered since they still were the writers.

bonjovi90 10-09-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1275820)

Yep. Songs I had never known existed, never had heard of some obscure titles and that can hence totally catch me by surprise. Much like most of what was on Burning Bridges.

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1275822)
I don't think there's 1996 DA demos the band played on? Had that been confirmed at some point (other than that producer scam we had here a few weeks ago)?

Cadillac Man wasn't on AAA in any way as far as I remember but since they had licensed the song off to Johnny Hallyday, it might've been registered since they still were the writers.

Aha, good call. Also I was thinking of Fighter for Love.

HMM. I'm not sure where it was first said, maybe a Kerrang article in 96/97? I'll dig around for this one, I recall there being a mobile studio outside during the stadium run of dates but I hope I'm not mixing that up with the scam stuff.

EDIT: Damn I guess we talked about this in 2018 too. https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...42/page14.html

Alphavictim 10-09-2021 11:25 PM

Was Fighter for Love ever properly recorded, if even Cadillac Man (supposedly) wasn't? Same for the "too dark" Bounce stuff. Would love to hear it, but then again, some didn't "even leave the notebook" as per JBJ/RS (I think it was mentioned in that giant interview up on BJ.com during the Bounce era).

But yeah, if possible, give me all of these. Also +1 for better quality versions of tracks like Game of the Heart (but preferrably all new ones from that era, too).