Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community

Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/index.php)
-   New Bon Jovi Releases (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   40th Anniversary Boxset (2023) (https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/showthread.php?t=70845)

Savvi 10-07-2021 02:56 PM

40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

Just so we don't hijack the SiriusXM thread, we can talk about the boxset here.

What we know: Confirmed by Jon that they are working on a boxset to be released in 2023 to celebrate the band's 40th anniversary. There will be 40-50 unreleased songs, "movies" and photos.

Speculation of the tracklist? Hopes? Dreams? Concerns? Go.

jimmyjovi89 10-07-2021 03:07 PM

I am really excited by the 50 songs, but do we think that many are going to be from the 80s an 90s or just Circle,WAN,THINFS and 2020 outtakes? If songs like Limitless, Fast Cars, Beautiful World and Knockout ended up on an album how bad will some of these outtakes be.

Litneg 10-07-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvi (Post 1275767)
Just so we don't hijack the SiriusXM thread, we can talk about the boxset here.

What we know: Confirmed by Jon that they are working on a boxset to be released in 2023 to celebrate the band's 40th anniversary. There will be 40-50 unreleased songs, "movies" and photos.

Speculation of the tracklist? Hopes? Dreams? Concerns? Go.

As far as I know, Jon said 40, who said 50? (I'm reading this since yesterday..)

With Jon looking over the archives, I think we might get some pre-Crush Era stuff, I don't know, but they have TONS of unreleased songs.

Let's see: 2020 has still around 14 unreleased tracks; THINFS has some, but we don't know how many; WAN has at least 4; we still haven't got ANYTHING from The Circle. So, from 2009 onwards, we've got a minimum of 18 tracks. Make it 40-50 is an easy job if we keep counting back (and consider those unreleased ASCAP titles)!

James_86 10-07-2021 03:48 PM

I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for this. We know that Jon doesn't give a single shit anymore about those fans that adore the bands music. The target market these days is the Jerry's of the world, the housewives and the wine aficionados. People that spend thousands of bucks on runaway trips.

The die-hard fan isn't catered for anymore, unfortunately.

Besides, how much 'good stuff' is really left? Most of the unreleased stuff we haven't heard would surely be post-2000, apart from the odd gem?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 10-07-2021 04:00 PM

Many times they discard great songs due to poor choice or simply because they felt that it did not correspond to the theme of the album. Just think Luv Can, a fantastic song that was left out of the album.

Speculation of the tracklist?

I think it will cover all the decades, but the last 20 years will be the most predominant.

Hopes?
Better 50 songs, and "Nothing" is included in this. That song is fantastic man, and the only thing we have is a leak with a rather mediocre sound quality.

Dreams?
A studio version of Cadillac Man recorded from NJ era. If it doesn't exist, let Jon call Richie and the rest of the band for a new Cadillac Man recording, but always respecting the logical structure of the song and its essence.

Concerns?
That the mixing and mastering from this proyect is not up to par. I would like them to take the 2004 box set as a reference for sound quality. It's clear and at the same time warm. It's a shame George Marino can't handle this again.

About "movies" and photos.
Well... I see this as a phenomenal extra, not the main dish. So that will depend on their choices, I suppose they have quite a material from archive... so I hope they choose wisely.

*With the exception of Nothing and Cadillac Man, should be songs songs that we had never listened.

blazeofglory 10-07-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjovi89 (Post 1275768)
I am really excited by the 50 songs, but do we think that many are going to be from the 80s an 90s or just Circle,WAN,THINFS and 2020 outtakes? If songs like Limitless, Fast Cars, Beautiful World and Knockout ended up on an album how bad will some of these outtakes be.

I would assume that there will be more older (2000s and earlier) outtakes since they used to write way more songs for one album than they do nowadays or it will at least be fairly balanced between older and newer stuff.

I also don't think the songs they actually put on recent albums are necessarily an indication of what the outtakes from those session might be like, because Jon in particular is quite bad at picking out which songs are the best and most worthy of being put on an album (or chosen as a single). A song like Limitless makes it onto an album because it fits a certain formula and Jon thinks it could do well commercially, while a song like Luv Can is quickly downgraded to nothing but a bonus track.

rolo_tomachi 10-07-2021 04:32 PM

I don't care what decade it was recorded in.

Let's remember Burning Bridges, an album made up of other songs over the course of a decade. That album has a good collection of songs... and in my opinion, BB is the best launch from last 10 years.

Now, let's remember Box Set 2004. A lot of interesting songs that were discarded as they did not find their place at the time when they were recorded. This Box Set is a treasure.

Always exciting to find out a new song.Even if it is an average song, it will always be more fun than never having heard.

To be fair, Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong has already taken care of the first 20 years. So I don't think that new Box Set includes a lot of songs from those decades. You never know anyway.

I hope they don't make the mistake of including songs that were already part of a previous releases, I would hate to see included a bonus track or b-side that we already got on another release.

Captain_jovi 10-07-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjovi89 (Post 1275768)

Precisely why this project intrigues me. Give me the songs left off the albums so the commercial stuff could makes it.

Rolo is bang on, we got some killer songs on Burning Bridges and that falls smack dab in the period we don't want much from. I want the songs Jon is too "afraid" to put on albums or are too weird or too stylistically different and this is our only chance to get it.

Alphavictim 10-07-2021 09:15 PM

"Unreleased" as in "we have not heard these yet" or as in "stuff from the box set"?

Dicanio 10-07-2021 11:12 PM

He said there were 40-50 songs but everything is being worked through and assessed.

It’s important to clarify before everyone gets carried away that they are still going through them (presumably to see what’s complete or suitable condition for release).

He didn’t actually say 40-50 songs would end up on the box set.

Dicanio 10-07-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_86 (Post 1275770)
I'm certainly not getting my hopes up for this. We know that Jon doesn't give a single shit anymore about those fans that adore the bands music. The target market these days is the Jerry's of the world, the housewives and the wine aficionados. People that spend thousands of bucks on runaway trips.

The die-hard fan isn't catered for anymore, unfortunately.

Besides, how much 'good stuff' is really left? Most of the unreleased stuff we haven't heard would surely be post-2000, apart from the odd gem?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

I was on the round table call and I haven’t heard Jon talk so enthusiastically and passionately about their past music in years. It was so refreshing to have a discussion about the music with no mention of wine, modelling or politics! The round table was exactly what die hard music fans want.

An edited version will end up on Sirius and some video clips are going on YouTube too. For me I wouldn’t swap my place on that round table for 10 Runaway trips!

I was in Jovi music fan boy heaven!

Stut 10-07-2021 11:19 PM

If there is video included, I would like to see behind the scenes stuff, the band in the studio, the band in the backstage. Not that interested about the live stuff since there's already pro shot videos available from pretty much every tour.

Faceman 10-08-2021 09:36 AM

I'd love them to do another a box set.
But 2023 is still a long time to go and in the last 30 years there was a lot of great stuff announced that never happened. So until I really hold that new box set in my hands, I keep listening to Whiskey and Eggs...(oh, wait a minute...;- ) )

Concerning the songs to be picked: I'm happy about everything that has Richie on it. Everything after 2013 does nothing for me. And I don't think we get too many tracks from the 80s and 90s. The 90s were mainly covered with the first box set. I still think they don't have too much from the 80s left because otherwise I can't explain why there were so little songs on the 2004 release.
So my guess is that we get stuff from 2000 onwards (and by saying that probably more from 2005 onwards since that's the period in which demos and outtakes are barely known).

steel_horse75 10-08-2021 01:42 PM

Yeah I’m hoping the unreleased stuff isn’t from last few albums but from the glory years.
Also hoping to get the tracks that didn’t make SWW that are on YouTube in poor quality in good quality.
Hopefully some more first 6 album left overs.

What we don’t want or need Is 5 versions of prayer, bad name etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 10-08-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steel_horse75 (Post 1275794)
Yeah I’m hoping the unreleased stuff isn’t from last few albums but from the glory years.
Also hoping to get the tracks that didn’t make SWW that are on YouTube in poor quality in good quality.
Hopefully some more first 6 album left overs.

What we don’t want or need Is 5 versions of prayer, bad name etc.

I love Game of The Heart and all those songs that were left out, but I think it would be better if they released a commemorative edition of SWW including those songs.

I'm open to what they release, sometimes a post2000 song can be more exciting than a song from the eighties. I repeat, you simply have to choose wisely. The rarer songs are usually discarded, so it can be a very interesting collection.

I wonder if there is something from Sex Sells that is good and can be released in the new box set, and do you remember that song that was about to be included in 100 million cant .... called "It takes only One to Say Goodbye".

There are so many possibilities ... Jon should be daring and release 8 CDs with 100 unreleased songs.

bonjovi90 10-08-2021 07:01 PM

They could, they could, they could...in theory do so much.

Let's wait simply wait what happens. If they put out something like 40 songs and about half of them are good, it's still a better percentage than most of their releases from the past 15 years.

Not sure about It Only Take One To Say Goodbye. They didn't do a full-band recording for that and had in some way licensed it off to the Poets. I think, other than House Of Fire and the early Does Anybody version, they had rarely put out their versions of songs that had been given away.
It dropping off last minute in 2004 could've already been due to legal reasons. However, the demo version was interesting with Jon and Richie basically doing the song live in the studio.

rolo_tomachi 10-08-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1275797)
They could, they could, they could...in theory do so much.

Let's wait simply wait what happens. If they put out something like 40 songs and about half of them are good, it's still a better percentage than most of their releases from the past 15 years.

Not sure about It Only Take One To Say Goodbye. They didn't do a full-band recording for that and had in some way licensed it off to the Poets. I think, other than House Of Fire and the early Does Anybody version, they had rarely put out their versions of songs that had been given away.
It dropping off last minute in 2004 could've already been due to legal reasons. However, the demo version was interesting with Jon and Richie basically doing the song live in the studio.

Wait, you mean It Only Take One To Say Goodbye?
I didn't know there was a demo out there rolling.

Captain_jovi 10-08-2021 08:43 PM

This will be for sure for sure for sure our last kick at the can in getting Sex Sells.

steel_horse75 10-09-2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275799)
This will be for sure for sure for sure our last kick at the can in getting Sex Sells.

And Cadillac man.

bounce442 10-09-2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275799)

Honestly, that's what I am most hopeful for. I have always thought if it was worth naming an album after, it's gotta be pretty darn good.

Dave 1986 10-09-2021 01:18 PM

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in any way exciting about a new Bon Jovi release of any kind. (The last release I got genuinely excited for was the New Jersey Deluxe Edition)

I hope it’s all/mostly “new” songs, not anything recycled from previous releases or an “updated” version of the 2004 Box Set. The odd rare b-side here and there would be fine (like how "Breathe" and "Good Guys…" were included on the 2004 release) but, like the previous box set, I want mostly (officially) unreleased stuff.

I appreciate that it’ll mostly be post-2000’s stuff and the 80s and 90s were covered on the previous Box Set and the New Jersey Deluxe Edition but I do have my reservations with it being an era I’m least interested in, particularly post-Richie era. But as others have said already, just because a song doesn’t make it onto those albums doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to be less good.

Ideally I’d like to finally have some of songs from the “original” Have a Nice Day album (ie. "Nothing", original versions of
"Have a Nice Day", "I Want to Be Loved", "Bells of Freedom", etc.) in full quality.

This news has started giving me nostalgia for late-2004 when I was anticipating the original Box Set!

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 02:32 PM

Could this be why a slew of JBJ late 90's songs were registered on ASCAP the last year or so or did something change with his publishing? A handful were Richie co-writes so I'm hoping it covers everything. He has to be realistic enough that a box set focussing on 40 to 50 post 2013 songs would be a weird thing to promote and release.

Dicanio 10-09-2021 03:29 PM

The impression that I got from the round table was that this is still in the very very early days of going through and seeing what they have. It doesn’t sound like there was any record kept of what there actually is or the quality of it.

Just to reiterate they are currently going through 40~50 songs to establish what they have. He never actually said 40~50 songs would end up on the box set just in case some of you are expecting exactly that.

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicanio (Post 1275816)
The impression that I got from the round table was that this is still in the very very early days of going through and seeing what they have. It doesn’t sound like there was any record kept of what there actually is or the quality of it.

Just to reiterate they are currently going through 40~50 songs to establish what they have. He never actually said 40~50 songs would end up on the box set just in case some of you are expecting exactly that.

Aha, gotcha. 40 to 50 non hits was ambitious to release in 2004, will be neat to see how many make sense given the fall from grace the band has had.

Jack27 10-09-2021 06:02 PM

Any songs you’re all hoping for? As previously mentioned I’d love to finally get Sex Sells - and actually a lot of what that record was. Shadow Dancing, Someday We’ll Ride Wild Horses, Good Ain’t Good Enough etc

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1275820)
Any songs you’re all hoping for? As previously mentioned I’d love to finally get Sex Sells - and actually a lot of what that record was. Shadow Dancing, Someday We’ll Ride Wild Horses, Good Ain’t Good Enough etc

Would love to hear the 1996 Destination Anywhere-demos the band played on, the Bounce songs like Alone, Life's too short for days like these, the Lost Highway songs cut for One Step Closer and Everybody's Broken, This Ain't a Drinking Song...

Cadillac Man being registered in ASCAP is confusing if there's no song recorded. Is it possible it had to be due to it being in Access All Areas (a bit of it was in that, right?)

bonjovi90 10-09-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275821)
Would love to hear the 1996 Destination Anywhere-demos the band played on, the Bounce songs like Alone, Life's too short for days like these, the Lost Highway songs cut for One Step Closer and Everybody's Broken, This Ain't a Drinking Song...

Cadillac Man being registered in ASCAP is confusing if there's no song recorded. Is it possible it had to be due to it being in Access All Areas (a bit of it was in that, right?)

I don't think there's 1996 DA demos the band played on? Had that been confirmed at some point (other than that producer scam we had here a few weeks ago)?

Cadillac Man wasn't on AAA in any way as far as I remember but since they had licensed the song off to Johnny Hallyday, it might've been registered since they still were the writers.

bonjovi90 10-09-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack27 (Post 1275820)

Yep. Songs I had never known existed, never had heard of some obscure titles and that can hence totally catch me by surprise. Much like most of what was on Burning Bridges.

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjovi90 (Post 1275822)
I don't think there's 1996 DA demos the band played on? Had that been confirmed at some point (other than that producer scam we had here a few weeks ago)?

Cadillac Man wasn't on AAA in any way as far as I remember but since they had licensed the song off to Johnny Hallyday, it might've been registered since they still were the writers.

Aha, good call. Also I was thinking of Fighter for Love.

HMM. I'm not sure where it was first said, maybe a Kerrang article in 96/97? I'll dig around for this one, I recall there being a mobile studio outside during the stadium run of dates but I hope I'm not mixing that up with the scam stuff.

EDIT: Damn I guess we talked about this in 2018 too. https://drycounty.com/jovitalk/bon-j...42/page14.html

Alphavictim 10-09-2021 11:25 PM

Was Fighter for Love ever properly recorded, if even Cadillac Man (supposedly) wasn't? Same for the "too dark" Bounce stuff. Would love to hear it, but then again, some didn't "even leave the notebook" as per JBJ/RS (I think it was mentioned in that giant interview up on BJ.com during the Bounce era).

But yeah, if possible, give me all of these. Also +1 for better quality versions of tracks like Game of the Heart (but preferrably all new ones from that era, too).

Captain_jovi 10-09-2021 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1275830)
Was Fighter for Love ever properly recorded, if even Cadillac Man (supposedly) wasn't? Same for the "too dark" Bounce stuff. Would love to hear it, but then again, some didn't "even leave the notebook" as per JBJ/RS (I think it was mentioned in that giant interview up on BJ.com during the Bounce era).

But yeah, if possible, give me all of these. Also +1 for better quality versions of tracks like Game of the Heart (but preferrably all new ones from that era, too).

I recall "Crying" was the one that didn't leave the notebook for being too sad. "Alone" is the one that was registered on ASCAP so it must have gotten further than that. I'm not sure what it implies when it's on that site, does it mean an ASCAP member could purchase the rights to the song to cover themselves, implying a version already exists or could it just be lyrics and sheet music?

SuperBrad 10-10-2021 12:37 AM

You guys have covered just about everything im interested in getting ;) still fairly obsessed with Cadillac Man and some sex sells stuff …. Hey does anyone remember a song called “the ballad of Alice Cooper “ being mentioned by Jon in an interview or it may have been Alice himself mentioned that Jon had written the song for him but he didnt take it because he thought would be too weird singing a song about himself ……

bonjovi90 10-10-2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBrad (Post 1275832)
You guys have covered just about everything im interested in getting ;) still fairly obsessed with Cadillac Man and some sex sells stuff …. Hey does anyone remember a song called “the ballad of Alice Cooper “ being mentioned by Jon in an interview or it may have been Alice himself mentioned that Jon had written the song for him but he didnt take it because he thought would be too weird singing a song about himself ……

Yeah but I think that was just a fun thing and Jon played it on Rockline in 1990 (together with the extended version of Blood Money). Pretty sure that's on YouTube as well [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

bonjovi90 10-10-2021 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphavictim (Post 1275830)

I vaguely remember quote in the Q&A sections of the old fan club magazines around 1990 where Jon answered that it wasn't recorded in the studio either. But I really can't recall it for sure. He definitely said that about Cadillac Man in one of these magazines at the time though.

Gesendet von meinem X30 mit Tapatalk

rolo_tomachi 10-10-2021 01:39 AM

To all this, I wonder if they also have a new album ready or in process for 2022.

bonboy25 10-10-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi (Post 1275835)
To all this, I wonder if they also have a new album ready or in process for 2022.

I wonder if they will instead release a new song or two when they announce a tour. Potentially before end of this year, at a guess. To get some excitement along the fans, although the song won't do well cause modern Bon Jovi

Captain_jovi 10-10-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonboy25 (Post 1275837)
I wonder if they will instead release a new song or two when they announce a tour. Potentially before end of this year, at a guess. To get some excitement along the fans, although the song won't do well cause modern Bon Jovi

Yeah I think we'll get an EP or a rerelease of 2020 with some bonus tracks.

blazeofglory 10-10-2021 03:42 PM

I think they'll put out a new album when they go on tour. Earlier this year Jon mentioned working on a new album a couple times and I don't think they'd wanna pass up on the opportunity to make both the album sales and the ticket sales benefit from each other. They go on tour - people will be more likely to buy their newest record because they'll wanna get up to speed with the band, they put out a new record - they might win some new fans who will want to go see them live as well.

With 2020 being strongly tied to a very specific point in time I can't really imagine Jon wanting to re-release it again 2 years later, especially with some of the songs (like Do What You Can) not even being current anymore topically. (And he's also said that he's done with the topical songs for now and wants to put out a big optimistic Bon Jovi™️ record next.) I also don't think Jon, the songwriter™️, will want to put out an EP when he can just put out a full length album.

Litneg 10-10-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_jovi (Post 1275845)
Yeah I think we'll get an EP or a rerelease of 2020 with some bonus tracks.

Well, the band has had recording sessions this year for a new (full) record - 1st in February, 2nd between June/July. Now they announced that they're getting together this week for rehearsals.. I'm thinking we might have a big surprise for the RT - a Bon Jovi intimate show - or they will announce a new single and, this time, will promote it properly with the band on TV and radios.

They need to start doing some stuff, 'cause the next tour kicks off next May/June.

Captain_jovi 10-10-2021 05:16 PM

Fair points, yeah. I mean just because they've been in the studio it doesn't mean everything will see the light of day. 23 bed tracks were recorded for 2020 before Jon realized only handful of those songs made the final version.

I don't know if I see them doing a whole new marketing campaign for a full album but they'll absolutely put SOMETHING out to have a reason to tour. But they could also be saving Beautiful Drug or another single to promote the tour. Though what's left? Brothers in Arms, Blood in the Water, Beautiful Drug and Let it Rain. No way in hell would they put out Lower the Flag. As to the rumours of Luv Can getting a video shot, they could potentially use that song as a "new" single.

Doesn't make sense to call it the 2020 tour or whatever.