Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

40th Anniversary Boxset (2023)

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 09-25-2022, 05:55 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

What are they really going to relase for the SWW one that isn't going to piss of the diehards though studio wise? We've already got a 5.1 mix and the Richie's basement demos have leaked long ago. Personally I think if they put out SWW again, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't from this fanbase that has that stuff already. I read a lot of flack from people about the NJ one because "we already have this" etc.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:19 PM
Price of posting

There will always be people complaining, but there will also be people loving it.

NJ Deluxe Edition 2014 had some problems for diehard fans. All the outtakes weren't there, you know what I mean, In America, Rosie and the correct version of Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore?

I don't know if they recorded more songs in the studio like Cadillac Man or We All Sleep Alone. But if they have this kind of stuff, they should have included it in that edition. Also missing a rough mixes cd. They could have skipped the DVD and instead include a never-before-released live CD.

Obie's mixing was mediocre, they need to take mixing and mastering seriously like the 2004 box set.

That would make a big difference.

I have already said it in other posts. Something like this would whet the appetite of many fans:

SWW 40th anniversary:

CD1 Original Remastered

CD2 Bonus Tracks: Game Of The Heart, Lonely Is The Night, Deep Cuts The Nife, Never Enough, Borderline, Edge Of a Broken Heart, Out Of Bounds... there are probably a few more clues that we don't know.

CD3 Rough Mixes: You Give Love A Bad Name, Prayer, Wanted, Id Die For You (Demo) or Never Say Goodbye (Richie on Vocals), Raise your Hands, Let It Rock....

CD4 Live tracks from 1986-7 or live full live show in two discs.
CD4 Live Show

If you want DVD-Bluray, they could easily add Nassau 87. They could also include the official videos as extras.

Mix and remaster all this as it deserves. They did it once with Out Of Bounds for the 2004 box set. They can do it again if someone competent does it. Pack it with love, make a 30-40 page book of promotional photos, tours, and truthful information from the recording studio.

Do the same with Keep The Faith and These Days. You will keep all the fans happy.

This is easy to do, and if this isn't worth it to the fans, then I don't know what the hell you expect.

The Box Set 40th Annyversary could be a continuation of the 2004 Box set. Add unreleased songs never heard before, at least mostly.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 09-25-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Old 09-25-2022, 10:59 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
I have already said it in other posts. Something like this would whet the appetite of many fans:

SWW 40th anniversary:

CD1 Original Remastered

CD2 Bonus Tracks: Game Of The Heart, Lonely Is The Night, Deep Cuts The Nife, Never Enough, Borderline, Edge Of a Broken Heart, Out Of Bounds... there are probably a few more clues that we don't know.

CD3 Rough Mixes: You Give Love A Bad Name, Prayer, Wanted, Id Die For You (Demo) or Never Say Goodbye (Richie on Vocals), Raise your Hands, Let It Rock....

CD4 Live tracks from 1986-7 or live full live show in two discs.
CD4 Live Show

If you want DVD-Bluray, they could easily add Nassau 87. They could also include the official videos as extras.

Mix and remaster all this as it deserves. They did it once with Out Of Bounds for the 2004 box set. They can do it again if someone competent does it. Pack it with love, make a 30-40 page book of promotional photos, tours, and truthful information from the recording studio.
I totally agree that a SWW boxset like this would be really cool, but given the state of Jon's voice during the Slippery tour I think that kinda leaves the question of what kind of live material they even have in the vaults that would be suitable for an official CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release.

I can imagine that Jon himself wouldn't necessarily want to release material from shows where his voice was barely hanging on by a thread, and you also gotta take into consideration whether that kind of live material would appeal to all your potential buyers. A diehard fan might not care about the state of Jon's voice at that time and happily take any kind of 80s live material they can get their hands on, but the causals might give it a listen on Spotify & co. beforehand to see whether the boxset would be worth the money for them (considering how pricey a boxset like that would probably be) and decide that it's not because of how Jon sounds in the live material, and then you only have diehards actually buying the boxset in the end.

Maybe it would make more sense if they did 3 CDs (CD 1 - standard album, CD 2 - bonus tracks/outtakes, CD 3 - alternative takes and demos) and a DVD/Blu-Ray with Slippery When Wet - The Videos, and then additionally offered the option to purchase 12 live tracks from all across 1986/87 and a full video show digitally. That way you'll have diehards and causals buying the boxset and the diehards can also get live material.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Price of posting

Casuals won’t buy boxsets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post

Yup. Casuals won't spend $50+. Die hards won't spend $50+ if its filled with stuff they already have. So who is byuing retrospective stuff, no matter how well its done?

It'd have to be mega promoted to the old fans and that's something Jon would never do. And thus the cycle of this fanbase continues.

The idea that the NJ edition didn't sell because a different version of Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore was included? I don't think I agree. That's a sliver of a niche pie.

It's wild, Jon doesn't want to be seen as nostalgic and doesn't want to fully promote and get into the music he currently puts out so he's stuck in this no man's land that tours 30 (if that) shows per year. Projects like this could do well if the effort was there. Let's just hope the next box set is one last kiss to the diehards, have the vibe of the 2004 release and call it a day.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:55 PM
Price of posting

Captain I don't know to what extent this Boxset will have old stuff from the 80's or 90's. But even if we only get songs from 2004-2023, I'd still be excited. The reason? Because Burning Bridges I liked, even if they had to rework some things.

Imagine a 4-disc boxset like Burning Bridges, damn, that would be fantastic for me too. But for that, they would have to choose wisely. If we get 40-50 songs, I hope they will be completely unreleased, with the exception of perhaps two or three songs, which never had an official release.

Leaving all this aside, when do you think this documentary will be released? and more importantly, when will the box set be released? I'm also curious to know what they will call the box set?

Old 09-27-2022, 06:00 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
Captain I don't know to what extent this Boxset will have old stuff from the 80's or 90's. But even if we only get songs from 2004-2023, I'd still be excited. The reason? Because Burning Bridges I liked, even if they had to rework some things.

Imagine a 4-disc boxset like Burning Bridges, damn, that would be fantastic for me too. But for that, they would have to choose wisely. If we get 40-50 songs, I hope they will be completely unreleased, with the exception of perhaps two or three songs, which never had an official release.

Leaving all this aside, when do you think this documentary will be released? and more importantly, when will the box set be released? I'm also curious to know what they will call the box set?

I'm right there with you. Even if it's songs post 2000, I want the weird as hell ones that were too un-them to put out. I have enough of the same songs that sound identical, give me the Fingerprints, Who Would You Die For, Temptations, Love Ain't Nothings that show they were trying something out. I just want creativity and I'll be happy. Seems the paint by numbers stuff is what gets put on the albums so I'm gonna be thrilled if I get a handful of songs that make me appreciate his song writing again ya know?
Old 09-28-2022, 10:02 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post

Casuals wont buy anything.
Casuals have they Spotify account only with a playlist of their favourites songs.

Who buys CDs/Vinyls nowadays?
Its the die hards.
MADRID-22/5/2003 / MILTON KEYNES-10 & 11/6/2006 / LONDON-24/6/2007 / STUTTGART-29/5/2008 / BARCELONA-1/6/2008 / LONDON-27 & 28/6/2008 / NEW JERSEY-26 & 27/5/2010 / MADRID-4/6/2010 / PARIS-16/6/2010 / MADRID-6/11/2010 / DRESDEN-10/6/2011 / MUNICH-12/6/2011 / ZEEBRUGGE-24/7/2011 / BARCELONA-27/7/2011 / SAN SEBASTIAN-29/7/2011 / LISBON-31/7/2011 / RICHIE SAMBORA-LONDON-16/10/12 / BERLIN-18/6/13 / KOLN-22/6/13 / MADRID-27/6/13 / MILANO-29/6/13 / LIVERPOOL-19/6/19 / LONDON-21/6/19 / MADRID-7/7/19
Old 09-28-2022, 12:47 PM
Price of posting

Let's see how the documentary works commercially. If it has some traction, this will make the 40th Anniversary Box Set a better seller.

The question is when it will be released, and if it will be done together. I have a feeling that this documentary will be included in the box, therefore the Box Set would come out after the premiere of the documentary on platforms.

It would be great if it was released in Spring 2023, and maybe an international tour in the summer?

Old 09-28-2022, 01:59 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Send a message via MSN to kleman

This :

Ronnie Wood ... Self 4 episodes, 2022
Keith Richards ... Self 4 episodes, 2022
Charlie Watts ... Self 4 episodes, 2022
Mick Jagger ... Self 4 episodes, 2022
Sienna Miller ... Narrator 2 episodes, 2022
Tina Turner ... Self 2 episodes, 2022
Jon Bon Jovi ... Self 2 episodes, 2022
Chrissie Hynde ... Self 2 episodes, 2022