Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Bounce Album?

General BJ Discussion

Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
If you know anything regarding the structure of music you'll know that Everyday and HAND are nothing like It's my life.
Wrong. HAND has the same structure (the verse consists of 4 lines, two of which have the main riff in between, two of them which work as a bridge) and the chorus has the exact same chords as "It's My Life" - just in another key!

Quite a rip off. This song structure was introduced with "It's My Life", and afterwards used several times: "Bounce", "Have A Nice Day", "Complicated", "We Got It Going On" - all little brothers of IML, some more, some less.

Last edited by Simon; 06-16-2009 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Blaze of Posting

That's kind of the point, Bounce is in the same key as IML, uses the same chords and is about the same subject......
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Wrong. HAND has the same structure (the verse consists of 4 lines, two of which have the main riff in between, two of them which work as a bridge) and the chorus has the exact same chords as "It's My Life" - just in another key!
as "I" see it

billions of songs have lyric/riff, lyric/riff, lyric/riff, lyric riff. there are only so many chords with which to be worked with.

IML has talk box which pretty much drowns out any guitar and piano over the verse, while hand does not.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Location: In a bar breathing smoke, snorting whiskey drinking coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You've basically summed up most pop songs there.

The Drum patterns and the actual chords and riffs are completely different.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDays2005 View Post

I don't like Crush, I don't like Bounce but togheter they make a really good album IMO. Production-wise its kinda fits and it can give a really good flow.
Now, I don't think Crush and Bounce can be compared sound-wise. I mean, if you enjoy your combination, great! I like mixes as well, but to me both albums are very far apart - songwriting-wise and production. And I have no problem with Crush whatsoever, I have a thing for every single song on it, and I enjoy Bounce in a way too. The flow never bothered me. It works for me. Bounce is still the album (apart from the first 2) for which I need s special mood to really appreciate it. It could have been much much better, the songs itself are not the biggest problem, but the lack of guitar skills and - most of all - the lousy production. Like the heavy, dark tone though. "Hook Me Up" is great!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:48 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictoc View Post
You've basically summed up most pop songs there.

The Drum patterns and the actual chords and riffs are completely different.
Errrr... no. You didn't get the point. One of the characteristics of IML and it's clones is the 4 verses structure that I described before, and while I haven't said that this was a complete new invention, it was an outstanding characteristic that BJ introduced with IML and repeated on it's clones, that sometimes even had the same talkbox-thing (Bounce, Complicated), or/and the same topic (living life).

You cannot convince me that those songs have a special pattern: While only the first two lines of lyrics are interrupted with the riff, while the vocals come without music in between those riffs, or just drums, anyway, a break, and the other two lines work as a bridge/built up for the chorus. If still don't get the point... then I'm not the one to repeat myself anymore. You ONLY find that on those clone-songs. Go figure.

And IML and HAND have the same chords. Go play it. This has nothing to do with the amount of chords there are to use. The combination of all elements makes HAND a ridiculous clone. But I still like it, and it's a great live song.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Next 100 Posts

Out of all the It's My Life "clones" I would have to say "Everyday" kicks them all out with a much more aggressive mood and tone with Richie's 1958 Korina Flying V providing the massive sound. Simple power chords for the most part but hey, they work. And tico's drumming is superb on this one too.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
It's my post

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Yahoo to Rob

It's just sort of ok. A bit too poppy for my liking but not complete shit.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Posting Always

Bounce is an interesting case, I find it musically better than Crush, it has more good rock songs on and right side of wrong is an excellent ballad, however, Crush sometimes gets a better reputation because of it's my life. Saying that, I thought HAND was better tha both of them, it was less rocky than bounce and less poppy than crush but I felf like all the songs on HAND belonged there and they just fitted the overall sound of the record.
26th June 2010, The O2 Arena, London.
8th June 2013, Manchester Ethiad Stadium.
19th June 2019, Liverpool Anfield Stadium.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Jovi Freak

My leasy favourite Jovi album, but I dont hate it.

Undivided and Bounce are aweseome songs! And unlike most fans, I actually like AALY and Joey.

Everyday isnt bad, and neither is The Distance, Right Side of Wrong and Hook Me Up.

Misunderstood... I dont know why they released it as a single. There were way better choices IMO. The rest of the album is average.

I like the deep, heavyness of the album musically. Nothing really stands out from the album though which screams "THIS ALBUM ROCKS". Its pretty much the same clashing guitars throughout the whole album with the exception of a few tracks.

Perth - January 25, 2008
Perth - December 8, 2010
Sydney - December 17, 2010
Sydney - December 19, 2010 (I Believe!!!)

East Rutherford - July 25, 2013
Melbourne - December 7, 2013
Melbourne - December 8, 2013
Perth - December 12, 2013

Sydney - December 8, 2018

Tags
bounce