Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Best Studio Vocals by Jon - 2000 Onwards

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93
Default Best Studio Vocals by Jon - 2000 Onwards

Yeah, this is another thread about Jons vocals before someone makes a sarcastic comment and yes I did type it in the search thread but it gave me 20 pages to look through and I couldn't be bothered going through them all to look for a page.

So yeah, as the title says, what do you think is Jons best vocals on a studio album since 2000?

For me, it is 'Love's The Only Rule.' I know he has a nasal sound sometimes on it but the passion he seems to put in it makes his voice actually sound superb for the majority. High notes, slight aggression on some verses.. he actually does sound much more clean on this than a lot of other songs.

It blew me away from the first time I heard it and that was because of his vocals.

What is yours?

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...

Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 AM
The Distance

I think HAND is his best vocal album and he's pretty consistent throughout.

He sound great on IML but besides that, Crush and Bounce don't do it for me.

Memory does it for me on LH.

I don't think he sounds bad on BWC but I'm With You takes the cake.

TC is pretty even but I can't stand his vocals on Born To Follow.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

From some reason, I really like the way he sound on "Novocaine". I think his more nasal tone suits that song better than perhaps his pre 2000 tone would.

And, I also agree with "Loves the Only Rule." He is very listenable on that for me.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to trevrox

lol, all of them?

Make a Memory is my favorite post 2000 Jovi song. Absolutely love it and think Jon sounds fantastic.

I think he sounds great on The Last Night, too. Have a Nice Day, I Am, The Distance, Last Man Standing, Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore...

I can't think of many times his voice has bothered me on the record. I love his vocals on the Lost Highway record, though. Probably the most out of the last three records.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
lol, all of them?

Make a Memory is my favorite post 2000 Jovi song. Absolutely love it and think Jon sounds fantastic.

I think he sounds great on The Last Night, too. Have a Nice Day, I Am, The Distance, Last Man Standing, Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore...

I can't think of many times his voice has bothered me on the record. I love his vocals on the Lost Highway record, though. Probably the most out of the last three records.
I agree, Lost Highway is kind of the best post 2000 record, in many ways, including Jon's vocals, especially on Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore, Any Other Day, etc. Also HAND with I Am, Have A Nice Day, and Nothing, though never released. The Circle is great too, for the most part.

Where I really can't stand his vocals for the most part is WAN, though that's due to really bad production, because there are songs on it that are actually listenable and not so over-produced, but then there's songs where words are "blurred", he sounds like he had his mouth full of spit while singing, and so on...
Old 08-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

I personally think that HAND had pretty raspy and 'cool' vocals.

I'm gonna to have to say that Two Story Town, I Want To Be Loved and Undivided have some sweet vocals.

Brokenpromiseland is the track from The Circle that surprised me vocally - the delivery suits the song perfectly in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

It's kind of impossible to tell really considering how much doctoring has been going on since Have A Nice Day. By now no one really knows what note Jon did song, and what note was flat but has been altered to sound the way it does on the record. Considering how thin Jon's voice had become in 2000 I'd say Just Older is a good indication of what he could do in the studio on a good day. But as for later work? Nah... Love's The Only Rule might sound awesome on the record, but there's no way he actually sang it that way as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 08-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

It's kind of impossible to tell really considering how much doctoring has been going on since Have A Nice Day. By now no one really knows what note Jon did song, and what note was flat but has been altered to sound the way it does on the record. Considering how thin Jon's voice had become in 2000 I'd say Just Older is a good indication of what he could do in the studio on a good day. But as for later work? Nah... Love's The Only Rule might sound awesome on the record, but there's no way he actually sang it that way as well.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
I dunno because he did sing it pretty well live most of the time on the Circle tour so don't see why he wouldn't have been able to do it in the studio at that time.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
I dunno because he did sing it pretty well live most of the time on the Circle tour so don't see why he wouldn't have been able to do it in the studio at that time.
He did indeed, but the way he uses his voice live is very different from the way he's using it in the studio.

When it comes to singing Happy Now and Love's The Only Rule it's obvious how much effects were added to his vocals to make it sound as clear as it does on The Circle. The only songs he's been capable of reproducing live have been Born to Follow and When We Were Beautiful, both not the most demanding vocals he's ever laid down. Also, let's not forget how everything in the studio is half a step higher. Jon's become very good at changing vocal melodies live to avoid the more risky stuff, and I think you'd be surprised how poor he'd sound when mixing his live vocals with a studio recording of the band.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 08-12-2014 at 05:34 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Keep the Faith

I think if you bring it down to one song, he's able to sing almost every post-2000 song perfectly. But during a concert he has to sing 20 - 30 songs right in a row. So he either has to save his energy up for a certain song or after he nailed one down he can't do it a second time that night without recovering.

That's my theory. Fire at will