Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Box Set Revisited

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Posting everyday

I'm with you on that one. Not only is your theory here very profound, but I personally had never checked to see how it was officially listed and always associated it with the 1994 era in my mind. The whole structure, the way the lyrics were written and the overall feel just screams Crossroad/These Days sessions to me.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
I get back to this thread because there's something I was thinking about the last couple of days concerning You Can Sleep While I Dream.
I'm so glad you brought this up. There are always those few songs you question from the Box, even though these lists point you in a different direction... And this is the one that was been irking me since inception.

In my collection, I've actually even had this one listed under "Open All Night"... (After KTF Jon wrote some songs and even confirmed this title before it was all squashed for Crossroads)... I think this song was debated under a different thread and CaptainJovi was very convincing that it was 1999.

Although I'm not a musician, you explained it perfectly and I totally get and definitely agree with what you are saying....

Here is what I'm providing:

1. I actually like the song too much for it be a later 90's song. And I'm actually serious when I say that. Jon's style had changed so much from the early to late 90's. I'm a sucker for uptempo songs with catchy hooks and this just fits that mold perfectly.

2. Jon's voice screams young and early 90's... Listen to the Fire Inside. It's identical to all the above - The Voice, The Style. When Jon screams "The Fire Inside" it's the same scream at the end of You Can Sleep...

3. It just doesn't fit anywhere between 1998 / 1999. Kinda going back to your post. Jon writes albums, not just random individual songs so usually there is some common connection with the others. I feel there is more of a connection with the handful of songs that came from Open All Night

We should definitely get some more buy ins before I change it on the main page but I'm in total agreement that it's early 90's.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:36 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
I'm with you on that one. Not only is your theory here very profound, but I personally had never checked to see how it was officially listed and always associated it with the 1994 era in my mind. The whole structure, the way the lyrics were written and the overall feel just screams Crossroad/These Days sessions to me.
This!!! Couldn't agree more!!!
Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Jovi Freak

Quote:
Miss 4th of July is THE grey summer song for me, so it definitely was written in 1991.
Including the accordion? That arrangement sounds like something from Destination Anywhere or These Days.

Also: That intro actually sounds like the "You and me, we're invincible"-vocal part of Captain Crash. Same chords?

Last edited by Alphavictim; 08-12-2018 at 04:44 PM..
Old 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Including the accordion? That arrangement sounds like something from Destination Anywhere or These Days.

Also: That intro actually sounds like the "You and me, we're invincible"-vocal part of Captain Crash. Same chords?
The recording of it on the Box Set was definitely done at a later point.
But the song was written during the great summer period. Jon even mentioned that explicitly at the Borgata show.
And wasn't there that song working sheet from the KTF album where the title was on as well?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Indeed, Miss 4th is C CAdd9 C F G, that "you and me" part from the Captain has C F G.

Quote:
And wasn't there that song working sheet from the KTF album where the title was on as well?
Yes!
https://imgur.com/a/r9b2okk
Old 08-12-2018, 05:48 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
... I think this song was debated under a different thread and CaptainJovi was very convincing that it was 1999. .
Will have to go back and see why I thought this. I will die on my sword that the version of Ordinary People we have is from 99 and not These Days, not sure about You can sleep while I dream.

Miss 4th of July to me sounds like that era even with the accordion. Given that it was on Something for the pain and the accordion/mandolin combo sounds very similar to the sound they got on Little Steven's Time of your life.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
The Distance

Quote:
The recording of it on the Box Set was definitely done at a later point.
But the song was written during the great summer period. Jon even mentioned that explicitly at the Borgata show.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5X mit Tapatalk
It was on the KTF double album sheet... Some songs were reworked, resang, and essentially completed... There is footage on YouTube (of Kurt Johnson adding pedal steel to one of the songs - too lazy to go look it up)...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 09:58 PM
This Post Feels Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
It was on the KTF double album sheet... Some songs were reworked, resang, and essentially completed... There is footage on YouTube (of Kurt Johnson adding pedal steel to one of the songs - too lazy to go look it up)...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
River Runs Dry. I would assume he also added it to These Arms Are Open All Night but no way of knowing. Other additions were the Acoustic Guitars on I Get A Rush.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Jovi Freak

I don't know guys, to me JBJ's voice in You Can Sleep While I Dream doesn't sound 1994, it's sounds more kinda like Two Story Town Webcast 2000 lol (btw same co-writers plus Richie)

no doubt this song is very pretty -_- and similar to Saturday Night (Hey’s, chord, etc.), maybe it was the Saturday Night "in the moment" (of course not too awesome like Saturday Night!!!!)

Tags
2004 box set, box set