Old 05-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriele View Post
https://youtu.be/nHdABeoTjqU

Fantastic video

And real performance

WOW!

Now this is a totally new level of shite! And who are all those people on stage?
(worth logging in just to state the blatant obvious!)

Old 05-02-2022, 07:21 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
I read somewhere they called the drills "dude rock", and I can't say I disagree. It's not for everyone, but it's right up my alley and I love it, as disposable as some songs are they're fun!! I tend to recognize Phil when he's playing, and agree that he doesn't sound exactly like Richie but for Jon to try and find a Richie tribute guy or imitator would be one of the biggest mistakes ever imo. Vocal wise is where I kiss the guy most, Richie and Jon's vocal duos can't be touched!! Richie is also a better shredder than Phil will ever be so those who say Phil is just a shredder and Richie isn't I never really understood that. Imo, I find that Phil fits right in, and will only want him subbed for the real thing (Sambora). I'm all in for a great high energy pop/rock album by the band, Phil could bring to it everything he brought to the Daughtry, Halestorm and Alice Cooper records!
I love all 3 of those bands Daughtry, Halestorm and Alice and I couldn't tell you which songs or albums Phil played on which says it all. When any of the other guitar players I mentioned do guest spots I can spot them a mile off. But then that's what a session player is supposed to be I suppose.

I don't think that they should have gone for a Richie clone, but I think they needed to go with a player who has at least one foot in the blues...I heard that they auditioned Damon johnson from Black Star Riders, Brother Cane and I would love to have heard that!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:25 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
...The way that Jon and Richie's voice would combine cannot be cloned and it's the biggest thing that I miss from the Bon Jovi sound.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Old 05-02-2022, 07:32 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
I love all 3 of those bands Daughtry, Halestorm and Alice and I couldn't tell you which songs or albums Phil played on which says it all. When any of the other guitar players I mentioned do guest spots I can spot them a mile off. But then that's what a session player is supposed to be I suppose.

I don't think that they should have gone for a Richie clone, but I think they needed to go with a player who has at least one foot in the blues...I heard that they auditioned Damon johnson from Black Star Riders, Brother Cane and I would love to have heard that!
I think it just might be a personal thing. He plays just about every guitar track on Daughtry's first album and I absolutely hear his style (he end guitar part on "Used To" really stands out). But as far as his style not standing out, that's a huge part of being a session musician. Not every artist is going to be cool with his guitar solo style but in the off chances he gets to shine, I can hear it. Born Again Tomorrow and Beautiful Drug both have that ascending lick that is very similar to each other and scream Phil.

That being said, I think his style lends itself much more to the less Bluesy-80's side of the band, falls short in the 90's and isn't needed for the 2000s. I still completely agree with Jon that Shank's style of playing is closer to Richies than Phils. Fingerprints is just something SO Richie-esque or at least draws from the same influences.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:08 PM
Next 100 Posts

I personally wonder how PhilX was able to be a studio musician. In 10 years he hasn't improved at all and is still way of Richies sound.

I remember back at when Richie played a concert in Paris in 2014 he called some guitar player up and they played IBTFY. Even that guy was able to sound like Richie. I simply don't get it why Jon didn't recruit an proper replacement for Richie that can sounds like him. Phil can't do the job. He is a good guitar player but for Bon Jovi he doesn't fit at all

Last edited by richiefan95; 05-02-2022 at 08:11 PM..
Old 05-02-2022, 09:00 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
... I still completely agree with Jon that Shank's style of playing is closer to Richies than Phils. Fingerprints is just something SO Richie-esque or at least draws from the same influences.
I'm old enough to remember that when Burning Bridges first came out I said something similar, and people thought I was off my rocker.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:13 PM
Price of posting

About Fingerprints, it was supposed to be a song that Jon wrote in 2007? I don't remember, but if they recorded a demo in that year, I wouldn't be surprised if John Shanks' guitar solo could be a simple remake of Richie's demo. I guess we'll never know, but whatever it is, it's a great solo.

Hoping the Box Set will have some great songs like Burning Bridges album. Although I hope that this time, they don't erase Richie's contributions.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 05-02-2022 at 09:22 PM..
Old 05-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiefan95 View Post
I remember back at when Richie played a concert in Paris in 2014 he called some guitar player up and they played IBTFY. Even that guy was able to sound like Richie. I simply don't get it why Jon didn't recruit an proper replacement for Richie that can sounds like him. Phil can't do the job. He is a good guitar player but for Bon Jovi he doesn't fit at all
Jon once admitted in an interview that he was too lazy to hold proper auditions to find a different replacement.

I agree with many about the style of Phil. It doesn't fit on most of the songs and I feel that it misses the soul and has actually driven further away from where it was in the early years of him in the band. That IBTFY video I recently watched felt so bland (and I don't mean the vocals for once).
He brings a lot of energy to the stage which is desperately needed since the rest don't. Shanks is the absolute anti rock star up there for me.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:48 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
Jon once admitted in an interview that he was too lazy to hold proper auditions to find a different replacement.
The idea to audition must have got somewhat further than Jon admits. Damon Johnson talked about his audition before.

https://www.al.com/life/2019/03/did-...-bon-jovi.html
Old 05-02-2022, 11:53 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I'm old enough to remember that when Burning Bridges first came out I said something similar, and people thought I was off my rocker.
Nah, I agree. I mean it's clear the song is trying to be Hotel California or something Eagle-Esque but stylistically this is Sambora's wheelhouse. Whether Shanks was ape-ing it or ape-ing the stylistical influences, Jon was bang on about Shanks sounding more like Richie's style than Phil. Again it doesn't come down to CAN the band sound like that, its DOES Jon WANT to.