Home Register Members FAQ

Richie Sambora!!!

General BJ Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 03:27 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
All very valid points. Another one probably is Richie's lack of solo releases. Even in fan circles (I mean regular ones, not the three or four crazy diehard users here ), he's more and more regarded as a has-been.
If some random music fan who might've liked Bon Jovi and Richie's solo stuff looks into it, they realize it's been 8.5 years since he left Bon Jovi 'cause he needed that artistic freedom and yet hasn't released a solo record ever since. It's been quite some time by now. If it was a band I had randomly followed from time to time, I'd also be lead to believe that he simply isn't into making music anymore.
True, but Richie is over 62 years old, he needed to slow down, and he had a project in the middle, called RSO that didn't go well, but he was working and doing some shows for 4-5 years. Nor is it that he has stood idly by. That information is also easy to search. But I agree with you.

David Bowie went 10 years without releasing an album. Metallica made an album in 2008, and until 2016 they didn't release another one, but in the middle, there was a collaboration album with Loud Reed that is ignored by everyone.

Richie could have built a solo career if 15 years ago, he had released solo albums every 3-4 years, similar to what Slash did. Now I feel it's too late for that, since Richie doesn't have the energy to do it... but at 62, he can continue making music, releasing albums like any other artist.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:27 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
If some random music fan who might've liked Bon Jovi and Richie's solo stuff looks into it, they realize it's been 8.5 years since he left Bon Jovi 'cause he needed that artistic freedom and yet hasn't released a solo record ever since.
But he never used that as the only reason he left Bon Jovi. There was also the need to spend more time with family and there is the fact that there was obviously friction between him and Jon.

Anyone that expected him to leave Bon Jovi and then release an album every couple of years is again not taking into account his age and the fact that he wanted to slow down before Jon did. As someone said earlier, I think Richie just wants to make the music he wants to make, when he wants to make it, and isn't really concerned about how commerically successful it is. He needs to scratch that itch every now and then, like any other artist, but other than that he's happy chilling out on his beach singing along to The Rolling Stones. Can't blame him for that to be honest. Most people his age have either retired, or looking to.

Last edited by Thinny; 10-17-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Old 10-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Posting everyday

My point was not a complaint as to Richie not releasing new material, but more of an explanation why his streaming numbers are the way they are. If one drops a bit off the face of the earth (and hadn't been an artist with a lot of hits beforehand), the general audience tends to lose focus and shift their interest onto other acts.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:04 PM
The Distance

I do think Richie could have a slightly bigger following if he was still in the band...

Since his departure which was almost 9 years ago now, he hasn't really been in the public eye. He's now just Bon Jovi's exguitarist who put out 3 solo albums.

The general population couldn't give a shit, The diehards exhausted his catalog, and I don't think he has casual fans. That's what hurts his solo following.

To me a casual fan is someone who is not a real fan but enjoys the music and wouldn't mind seeing a show... Richie doesn't have that following. He's relying strictly on Bon Jovis diehard fanbase.

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
I do think Richie could have a slightly bigger following if he was still in the band...
You say that, but woudn't that mean Phil X would have more listeners? He has under 8000 monthly listeners on Spotify. Honestly, considering that he's had no new product as a solo artist for almost 10 years, I don't think 137,000 is too bad.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:56 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
You say that, but woudn't that mean Phil X would have more listeners? He has under 8000 monthly listeners on Spotify. Honestly, considering that he's had no new product as a solo artist for almost 10 years, I don't think 137,000 is too bad.
Phil at 8k/month would be including that boost. It's given him a much much wider fan reach but I'd have to think his numbers without the band would be in the early 2000s monthly. That's just my guess.

It's tough to compare those two worlds. Phil has been in the band since 2013 but it's not like it matters to the general public. General fans, sure. We're past the point of fans thinking Richie is still in the band but half the time people don't even realize the band is still touring.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:59 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Well that may also be due to the music's quality
Old 10-17-2021, 09:06 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Phil at 8k/month would be including that boost. It's given him a much much wider fan reach but I'd have to think his numbers without the band would be in the early 2000s monthly. That's just my guess.

It's tough to compare those two worlds. Phil has been in the band since 2013 but it's not like it matters to the general public. General fans, sure. We're past the point of fans thinking Richie is still in the band but half the time people don't even realize the band is still touring.
This!!!

Old 10-17-2021, 10:30 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post

I get you, but I don't really think that whether Richie was currently in the band or not would make much difference to his numbers, which was RDs original point. The truth is of the of Bon Jovi fan base, probably 95% of them dont care (or in some cases even know) who is in the band apart from Jon. The difference Richie being in the band would make to his numbers in inconsequential.

The people that support Richie's solo stuff now are probably 99% the same people that were supporting him when he was still in the band. Him leaving will not have changed anything in that respect.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:57 PM
The Distance

Quote:
I get you, but I don't really think that whether Richie was currently in the band or not would make much difference to his numbers, which was RDs original point. The truth is of the of Bon Jovi fan base, probably 95% of them dont care (or in some cases even know) who is in the band apart from Jon. The difference Richie being in the band would make to his numbers in inconsequential.

The people that support Richie's solo stuff now are probably 99% the same people that were supporting him when he was still in the band. Him leaving will not have changed anything in that respect.
Richie being with the band gives him his fanbase. Richie has a bigger target audience releasing a solo album being in Bon Jovi verses not. The way he left band left fans bitter.

I think most fans are grateful for his contributions with the band and the solo albums he released during his time with the band. It helped fill some gaps between albums but now he's removed from that scene.

I think there are still fans that will check out his newest solo efforts but most will no longer embrace it. You could even see that happening here.

Once you get into that Backstage Fanbase, you're either with Jon or your not.

Tags
richie sambora